If you struggle with falling and/or staying asleep, you have likely tried a lot of things to help lull you into a deep slumber. But have you tried a noise cancelling machine or headphones? Noise machines are extremely effective when it comes to helping people catch some shuteye. There is a reason why one of these devices is on nearly every baby registry, it’s because they work. A noise cancelling device uses white noise to block out other sounds. These devices often allow you to play soothing sounds such as ocean waves or rainforest noises. The calming sounds often help you relax, allowing you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep.
Our Top Recommendation for Noise Cancelling Devices !
- Natural Sleep Aid Device Invented By A Doctor.
- Best Sleep Headphones For Side Sleepers.
- Upgraded Battery Life.
*We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
There are a lot of noise machines out there, and it can seem overwhelming to choose one. With several different styles available including earbuds, headphones, headbands, eye masks, and tabletop machines, it can be hard to find the one suited to your unique sleeping style. We have put together a list of the best white noise machines available to help choose the best one for you.
8 Best Noise Cancelling Devices
|• 12 hour play
• Bluetooth connects up to 15-30 feet
• Comfortable enough to wear while lying down or sleeping
|Bose Sleepbuds II
|• Innovative noise masking technology
• Comfortable fit
• Designed for sleep
|Dreamegg White Noise Sound Machine
|• 24 soothing sounds to choose
• Electro noise machine for baby kids and Adults
• White Noise Machine With Night Light
|Homedics Recharged Alarm Clock & Sound Machine
|• 8 Peaceful Nature Sounds
• Sleep timer & alarm options
• Multi Use Alarm Clock & White Noise Machine
|Music Sleep Mask
|• Ultra Soft&Great For Side Sleeper
• Bluetooth Stereo Sound
• Fit For Sleeping
|HoMedics SoundSpa Sound Machine
|• Auto-Off Timer
• Compact & Portable for Travel
• 6 Soothing Sounds
|Maxrock Wireless Sleeping Headphones
|• Durable Battery and Quick Charge
• Neckband Design with earbuds
• Light weight and Comfortable
|Mpow Noise Canceling Headphones
|• Soft Leatherette Ear Pad
• Suppress the unwanted background noises
• Noise-canceling microphone
1. AcousticSheep SleepPhones
The AcousticSheep SleepPhones have earned our pick as the best overall because of their versatility. This design is by far the most comfortable that we tried. They do not move during the night and the soft fleece is a dream to lay on. These are so comfortable that its easy to forget they are even there. Like to use an eye mask when you sleep? These can be pulled down to cover the eyes.
Pros & Cons
- Made from ultra-comfortable fleece and can also be used as an eye mask.
- On a full charge, the battery only lasts about 6 hours.
2. Bose Sleepbuds II
Bose is a brand that is synonymous with quality audio equipment. When they released the sleepbuds, we had to try them out. These earbuds fit in the ear canal and are a dream to wear. They do not interfere with your sleeping, no matter which way you sleep. If you have a partner that snores, the Bose Sleepbuds II do an excellent job at blocking out all unwanted noise.
Pros & Cons
- Fits nicely inside the ear and does an excellent job at blocking out unwanted noise.
- These sleepbuds do not double as earbuds, they only play music from the Bose Sleep app.
3. Dreamegg White Noise Sound Machine
For babies, and those that just want to sleep like one, there is the Dreamegg White Noise Sound Machine. This affordable device has 24 built-in relaxing noises including lullabies, ocean waves, and nature sounds. The sound machine also has a very faint nightlight that provides a bit of ambiance and helps you see the machine in the dark.
Pros & Cons
- Built in nightlight and 24 pre-installed sounds that are easy to switch between with the push of a button.
- The sound quality could use some improvement.
4. Homedics Recharged Alarm Clock & Sound Machine
The Homedics Recharged Alarm Clock & Sound Machine is a power house of different features. This is an alarm clock and white noise machine all bundled up into one convenient unit and it definitely deserves a mention on our list. The sound machine comes with 8 built-in relaxing sounds including a setting for just white noise. The unit not only displays the time on its face but has a built-in projector that can be pointed at the ceiling or a wall. On the back of the unit is a built-in phone holder and the unit even displays the current temperature.
Pros & Cons
- 8 Built in soothing noises, clock projector, built-in phone holder
- The unit should have included a wireless phone charger with the phone holder.
5. Music Sleep Mask
The Music Sleep Mask is a dual function sleeping eye mask and Bluetooth headset. Unlike some of the other noise cancelling devices on our list, this one has Bluetooth connectivity so you can play whatever you want through the headphones. The wires are removable so the mask can be washed and sanitized. For comfort, there is soft padding along the bridge of the nose.
Pros & Cons
- Removable wires makes for easy washing of the mask.
- The built-in headphones are not noise canceling so you may still hear some outside noises.
6. HoMedics SoundSpa Sound Machine
The HoMedics Soundspa Sound Machine is convenient, lightweight, portable, and budget friendly. This device comes with 6 built-in soothing nature sounds. It has a looping function and an automatic off timer. It is compact and portable enough for travel and can be used with batteries instead of AC power making it a great choice for those that live an active lifestyle and need to take their white noise machine on the go.
Pros & Cons
- The unit can be used with batteries.
- With only 6 built-in sounds, there isn’t a lot of variety and some of the repeating sections are very noticeable.
7. Maxrock Wireless Sleeping Headphones
The Maxrock Wireless Sleeping Headphones are very similar in design to the Maxrock wired sleeping headphones. These are made from a neck band design that includes earbuds that fit snuggly into the ear canal, blocking out sounds. They are made of silicone instead of hard plastic, so they are flexible enough to be worn comfortably for several hours.
Pros & Cons
- Can be used as a regular set of Bluetooth headphones when not being used for sleeping.
- The neckband design of these headphones may come off during the night for restless sleepers.
8. Mpow Noise Canceling Headphones
Over the ear noise cancelling headphones are not the best choice for side sleepers but if you sleep on your back, a set of over the ear headphones make an excellent choice for sleeping. Over the ear headphones are usually more comfortable than their earbud style counterparts. The Mpow noise cancelling headphones are big enough to completely cover the ear and they have a large amount of cushioning around the headphones for additional comfort.
Pros & Cons
- Bluetooth connectivity means you can play anything you want from your phone and you are not limited to built-in sounds that are provided by a traditional sound machine.
- Not suitable for side sleepers.
What Features to Look For in a Sound Machine For Sleeping?
- Light: The light emitted from white noise machines can disrupt sleep. So, it is important to find one that has minimal lights of lights that can be dimmed/turned off.
- Customization options: The ideal volume and type of noise will change from person to person and even from night to night! So, it’s important to find a white noise machine that you can easily customize so that you can choose be-tween ambient rainfall noises, music, podcasts, and mediations as frequently as you please.
- Portability: You will likely want to take your white noise machine with you on the road so you can continue getting a good night’s rest. This is why it’s important to make sure your sound machine is portable and that it will stay charged or the charger is small enough to transport.
What Are Noise Canceling Headphones?
Noise cancelling headphones are another option to get a restful sleep if even the slightest noise can wake you from a deep slumber. Noise cancelling headphones reduce unwanted ambient sounds. Say goodnight to city noise, the heavy-footed neighbours above, your snoring partner and whatever else is interrupting your beauty sleep when you choose noise cancelling headphones.
The benefits of noise cancelling headphones include:
- You can listen to music. Enjoy some soft jazz or ocean sounds as you drift off to sleep while also knowing the outside noises are being blocked — a serious advantage in our book!
- Reduce stress. Did you know that listening to music while you sleep is an excellent way to reduce stress? You can also listen to audiobooks or mediations in your noise cancelling headphones for the ultimate relaxing experience. What’s more, when you stop constantly waking up at night from ambient noises, you will be much more rested and better equipped to handle stress.
- Block snoring. One of the most significant advantages of noise cancelling headphones is their ability to block out the sound of snoring. Save your marriage and get a good night’s rest — a win-win!
Can Noise Canceling Headphones be Used For Sleeping?
You may be wondering why you can’t just use good old-fashioned earplugs to cancel unwanted noise during sleep. Noise cancelling headphones have one very distinct advantage over earplugs—they go over your head instead of inside of your ears. Side sleepers in particular will have their ear plugs fall out or even cause damage to the sensitive part of their ear when they roll over with earplugs in. Noise cancelling headphones, on the other hand, will stay in place while not putting any unwanted pressure on your ears.
What Kind of Noise Cancelling Headphones Are Best: On-Ear, In-Ear, or Over-Ear?
There are a few different kinds of noise cancelling headphones, including:
- On-ear: On-ear headphones sit directly against the ears, which makes them quite comfortable for sleeping. They are also very easy to travel with as most fold up easily.
- In-ear: These earphones are commonly called earbuds and are extremely popular today. However, this kind of earphone is not the best suited for sleeping because of its similarities to earplugs and how they can fall out when tossing and turning at night while also damaging the ear. If you really enjoy the feel of ear buds, Bose has designed some special Sleepbuds that are specifically meant for overnight wear. They mask noise and are comfortable enough to sleep in. But, they are only able to play ten preloaded soothing sounds via an app. That means podcasts and streaming or choosing music from your library are not supported on these tiny buds. These are perfect for travel, however as one charge can deliver 16 hours of playtime.
- Over-ear: Over-ear headphones are your best bet when it comes to sleeping. These are bigger and clunkier than the other headphone types, but if you’re sleeping in the comfort of your own home, that doesn’t matter. These are the most comfortable headphones and also produce the best sound quality— they can reproduce a wide range of frequencies from silky smooth highs to tight, deep bass lows. Since the headphones cup the entire ear, they provide excellent noise cancellation.
You May Also Read: Is Sleeping on The Floor Good or Bad? Here’s all You Need to Know!
When you add some noise cancelling headphones and/or a noise machine into your sleep routine, you can guarantee a night full of Zzz’s is in your near future. Start reaping the benefits today!