Are you looking to improve your back strength? Build a V-shaped back? Or relieve back pain and improve posture? If yes, your answer could be a lat pulldown.
Anyone, from beginners to experts, can perform a lat pulldown. You can target different muscles by making small adjustments like grip types. You can add a weight stack to improve the effectiveness of the movement.
You can opt for a specialized lat pulldown machine if you want to focus on your upper body. Or if you want to get a total body workout done, a comprehensive home gym machine with a lat bar would be ideal.
We have compiled a list of the best lat pulldown machines for home gyms to help with your purchase decision. Let’s get started.
9 Best Lat Pulldown Machine for Home Gyms
- Best Overall: ER KANG Lat Tower
- Best in Strength Training: Body-Solid GLGS100 Corner Leverage Gym
- Best in Customer Rated: Titan Fitness Plate Loaded Lat Tower V2
- Best in Heavy Duty: Deltech Fitness DF910 Lat Row Machine
- Best in Range of Motion: Body-Solid Leverage Lat Pulldown (LVLA)
- Best in Budget-Friendly: GDLF Lat Pulldown Machine
- Best in Comprehensive Home Gym: Body-Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S Home Gym
- Best in Adjustable: RitFit CM-400 Cable Lat Pulldown Machine
- Best in Beginner-Friendly: Valor Fitness CB-12 Lat Pulldown Cable Machine
1. Best Overall: ER KANG Lat Tower
The ER KANG lat tower is manufactured using a 2” x 2” 11-gauge steel tube. The aircraft cables are equipped with 800 lbs of tensile strength and can support intense, long-time use. The lat pulldown machine offers a maximum load capacity of 450 lbs.
You can buy the machine with attachments like an ab-crunch and a leg hold-down. It includes a lat bar, a lat row bar, barbell clamps, and foldable footplates. It also comes with space for weight storage. It supports standard and Olympic weights.
With the high and low pulley stations, you can target different muscles like the back, shoulders, and arms. You can perform exercises like the lat pulldown, tricep extension, and seated rows. The seat pad and leg hold-down attachment offer three height adjustment options.
The machine takes up comparatively less space when assembled. It is also one of the pocket-friendly models in the market. The machine, though, can be limiting for taller people.
|Maximum Weight||450 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||22.2 x 51.5 x 75.6 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W xH)||NA|
|Material||2” x 2” x 11 gauge high-quality steel tube|
|Warranty||6-month component replacement service|
- High-quality and durable construction.
- Includes multiple accessories for complete upper-body workouts.
- It supports standard and Olympic weight plates.
- It is a budget-friendly option.
- It may not be suitable for taller people or ones with longer arms.
- Assembly can take time; directions could be more straightforward.
2. Best in Strength Training: Body-Solid GLGS100 Corner Leverage Gym
The GLGS100 from Body-Solid lets you perform full-body workouts. It is designed using round metal tubing and aircraft-grade cables. It offers a maximum weight capacity of 600 lbs. This is a pretty good resistance when it comes to home gyms.
The machine comes with three workout stations: lat pulldown, press/squat arm, and low pulley. It includes a lat pulldown bar and a rotating cable handle. Moreover, the machine can be adjusted in several ways to provide you with a better range of motion.
You can target several upper and lower body muscles, like the biceps, triceps, lats, delts, glutes, calves, and quads. Some of the exercises you can perform are crossovers, variations of lat pulldowns, knee raises, ankle strap leg abductions, and more.
The machine works well with most benches. If interested, you can invest in the GFID100 bench for better movement and portability. You will have to invest separately in Olympic weight plates to use this machine.
|Maximum Weight||600 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||69 x 67 x 82 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||7.50 x 35 x 45 inches|
|Material||Rounded metal tubing, nylon pulleys|
|Warranty||Lifetime – frame and welds, 3-year – pulleys, bushings, bearings, hardware, plates, guide rods, 1-year – cables, upholstery, grips|
- The machine is equipped with three workout stations.
- You can perform a multitude of exercises.
- It offers a good weight capacity of 600 lbs.
- Body-Solid provides a good warranty.
- It is comparatively an expensive lat pulldown machine.
- It only supports 2” Olympic weight plates.
3. Best in Customer Rated: Titan Fitness Plate Loaded Lat Tower V2
The lat tower by Titan Fitness is ideal for upper body workouts. The machine is designed using high-quality steel and has a powder-coated black finish. You have the option of permanently mounting the machine with the four bolt-down holes available at the base of the frame.
The lat tower supports a maximum weight capacity of up to 400 lbs. It comes with a lat bar and a low row handle. The thigh pads support four adjustable positions, which makes the machine work for users of varying shapes and sizes.
Dual 13.5” weight posts are available on the bottom side of the machine. These weight posts can only fit Olympic weight plates.
You can find the assembly manual on Titan Fitness’s website. The assembly process is easy; putting the lat tower together takes about an hour. The machine also has a small footprint, making it a good addition to home gyms.
|Maximum Weight||400 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||57 x 47 x 85 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W xH)||NA|
- A sturdy lat tower offering 400 lbs of weight capacity.
- Users have the option of permanently mounting the tower.
- Thigh pads support four adjustable positions.
- The tower has a small footprint.
- The lat tower only supports Olympic weight plates.
- The instruction manual does not come with the machine. It has to be separately downloaded online.
4. Best in Heavy Duty: Deltech Fitness DF910 Lat Row Machine
The DF910 is a lat row machine built using heavy-duty steel tubing. The cables are aircraft quality. The nylon pulleys are fiberglass reinforced. Further, the machine uses top-grade vinyl and zinc-plated hardware. And the frame has a durable black and white powder-coat paint.
The machine is equipped with chrome-plated lat and row bars. These bars have a swivel design, allowing for a better grip and range of motion.
The lat rowing machine offers a weight capacity of up to 500 lbs. This makes it an ideal addition for beginners to advanced fitness users. You can use standard or Olympic weight plates, as the machine includes Olympic adapters.
To get the most out of this machine, consider buying accessories like the tricep bar, tricep pushdown rope, and pec attachment. You can perform several exercises like bicep curls, lunges, and straight bar pushdowns.
|Maximum Weight||500 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||63 x 24 x 82 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W xH)||50 x 17 x 6 inches|
|Material||Heavy-duty steel, fiberglass reinforced nylon pulleys|
|Color||White and Black|
|Warranty||Lifetime – Frame, in the case of defective material or workmanship, 1-year – upholstery|
- The heavy-duty construction of the machine makes it solid and durable.
- It offers a maximum weight capacity of 500 lbs.
- You can perform several upper-body workouts.
- You can use standard and Olympic weight plates.
- Deltech Fitness offers a lifetime warranty on the frame and manufacturing defects.
- Assembly can be challenging; it is best put together by two people.
- You need to buy weights and accessories separately.
5. Best in Range of Motion: Body-Solid Leverage Lat Pulldown (LVLA)
This is one of the older lat pulldown machines by Body-Solid. You can perform upper body workouts and target muscles like your biceps, lats, traps, and triceps.
The machine’s main frame is designed using 2” x 3” 11-gauge steel. Additionally, the frame has a metallic silver powder-coat finish, which is applied electrostatically.
The hand grips allow for 360° articulating, which makes the downward pulling motion free floating. The lat pulldown machine also has a dual-axis diverging arm movement.
This feature forces the user to maintain the correct form while performing a lat pulldown, improving the effectiveness of the workout.
Weight plate holders are available for storage. However, you will have to buy Olympic weight plates separately.
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||76 x 49 x 84 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W xH)||57.48 x 47.44 x 11.42 inches|
|Material||2″ x 3″ 11-gauge steel|
- 360° articulating hand grips for better pulldown motion.
- Dual axis diverging arm movement for better exercise form.
- The brand offers a lifetime warranty.
- It is an older and more expensive model by Body-Solid.
- It comparatively has a bigger footprint.
6. Best in Budget-Friendly: GDLF Lat Pulldown Machine
This is one of the best lat pulldown machines for home gyms. It has a sturdy steel construction, a powder-coat finish, and a non-slip base. In addition, this is budget and beginner-friendly home gym equipment.
The machine offers a maximum weight capacity of up to 500 lbs. In addition, the machine is compact in design, making it ideal for home gyms.
The foam rollers and the seat height include four adjustable positions. The GDLF machine has high and low pulley stations. You can perform exercises that target your biceps, triceps, lats, shoulders, and traps efficiently and safely.
The seat is adjustable, but taller users may not get a full range of motion even at the lowest setting while performing pulldowns.
|Maximum Weight||500 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||59 x 26 x 77 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W xH)||75 x 13 x 6 inches|
|Material||Steel frame with powder-coated finish|
|Warranty||Refund offered up to 30 days from the initial date of purchase|
- It offers a maximum weight capacity of 500 lbs.
- It is the best budget-friendly lat pulldown machine on this list.
- Seat and foam rollers are adjustable.
- The machine may not be suitable for users taller than 5’10” -5’11”.
- GDLF does not have warranty information published on its website.
- The assembly instruction could be clearer.
7. Best in Comprehensive Home Gym: Body-Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S Home Gym
The EXM2500S by Body-Solid is a complete home gym system. The lat pulldown bar is only one of the accessories that come with the machine. The EXM2500S includes other accessories that can help you perform total body workouts.
For example, the machine includes a chest press and pec station, leg extension/curl, ab crunch, and seated row. With these workout stations, you can perform 25+ exercises. These exercises could include pec flys, shoulder presses, pullovers, oblique bends, glute kicks, calf presses, and more.
The main frame is built using 2” x 4” 12 gauge high tensile strength steel. The nylon pulleys are fiberglass reinforced. The machine includes a 210 lbs of alloy steel weight stack.
You can invest in an optional leg press attachment to complete your home gym setup. The attachment has a weight ratio of 2:1. Thus, you get a resistance of 420 lbs.
|Maximum Weight||210 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||85 x 61 x 83 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W xH)||Box 1 – 47.5 x 13.5 x 3.5 inches, Box 2 – 6 x 18 x 74 inches, Box 3 – 7 x 50 x 40 inches|
|Material||High tensile strength steel|
- Heavy duty construction using 2” x 4” 12 gauge high tensile strength steel.
- You can perform complete body workouts.
- It includes multiple workout stations.
- Lifetime warranty offered by Body-Solid.
- It has a larger footprint than typical lat pulldown machines.
- The home gym machine can be pricier.
8. Best in Adjustable: RitFit CM-400 Cable Lat Pulldown Machine
This is another lat pulldown machine that helps you work out your upper body. The machine includes a lat and an adjustable lower utility T-bar. It enables you to perform several exercises like cable curls, seated rows, variations of lat pulldowns, and more.
The lat pulldown machine is highly adjustable. For example, you can vertically adjust the cushioned seat to five different positions. It also supports horizontal and vertical adjustments. The foam rollers offer eight adjustable positions, leading to better knee support.
Further, you can change the cable length with the four adjustable moving pulleys.
The machine was designed using carbon steel. It has a y-shaped bottom for better stability. The pedal plate is designed using non-slip textured iron, which helps you safely perform exercises.
The plate holders on the machine can support standard and Olympic plates. This helps you save space.
|Maximum Weight||400 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||78.8 x 34.5 x 84.7 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W xH)||NA|
- You can perform a range of upper-body workouts.
- You can adjust the seat pad horizontally and vertically.
- The foam roller offers eight adjustable positions.
- It is a decent-priced lat pulldown machine.
- The lat pulldown machine has a larger footprint.
- The warranty can be better.
9. Best in Beginner-Friendly: Valor Fitness CB-12 Lat Pulldown Cable Machine
The CB-12 machine is built using 2” x 2” 12 gauge steel. The cable pulleys are 60 inches long and can support up to 200 lbs. The resistance offered is good enough for beginners.
It includes a lat bar and a lower utility T-bar. You can target your arms, shoulders, and lats with these attachments. You can perform exercises like cable curls, upright rows, seated cable rows, pushdowns, and kickbacks.
It also includes a harness strap with soft handles, which you can use to perform ab-crunches.
It supports standard and Olympic weight plates. But you will have to buy the Olympic adapter sleeve separately.
The seat can be adjusted vertically in four different ways. In addition, the footplates have a textured surface for improved stability.
Valor offers a 60-day return policy. If the brand approves the return, then the return shipping costs will be deducted from your refund.
|Maximum Weight||200 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W xH)||53.5 x 24 x 80 inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W xH)||Box 1 – 79 x 10 x 8, Box 2 – 23 x 17 x 8|
|Material||2” x 2” 12-gauge steel|
|Warranty||3-year – frame, 1-year – hardware|
- Quality construction using 2” x 2” 12 gauge steel.
- You can perform several upper body exercises.
- The machine has a small footprint.
- The seat offers four adjustable positions.
- Weight plates and Olympic adapter sleeves have to be bought separately.
- Assembly instructions could be more straightforward.
9 Best Lat Pulldown Machine for Home Gyms Comparison Table
|Product Name||Cost||Size (L x W x H)||Weight||Weight Capacity||Amazon Rating||Product Price|
|Best Overall: ER KANG Lat Tower||229||22.2 x 51.5 x 75.6 inches||92 lbs||450 lbs||4.4 out of 5 (146 global ratings)|
|Best in Strength Training: Body-Solid GLGS100 Corner Leverage Gym||1563||69 x 67 x 82 inches||191 lbs||600 lbs||4.8 out of 5 (18 global ratings)|
|Best in Customer Rated: Titan Fitness Plate Loaded Lat Tower V2||579||57 x 47 x 85 inches||120 lbs||400 lbs||4.6 out of 5 (98 global ratings)|
|Best in Heavy Duty: Deltech Fitness DF910 Lat Row Machine||399||63 x 24 x 82 inches||132 lbs||500 lbs||No reviews|
|Best in Range of Motion: Body-Solid Leverage Lat Pulldown (LVLA)||2125||76 x 49 x 84 inches||183 lbs||NA||5 out of 5 (2 global ratings)|
|Best in Budget-Friendly: GDLF Lat Pulldown Machine||189||59 x 26 x 77 inches||60 lbs||500 lbs||4.5 out of 5 (967 global ratings)|
|Best in Comprehensive Home Gym: Body-Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S Home Gym||1699||85 x 61 x 83 inches||450 lbs||210 lbs||4.2 out of 5 (172 global ratings)|
|Best in Adjustable: RitFit CM-400 Cable Lat Pulldown Machine||399||78.8 x 34.5 x 84.7 inches||104 lbs||400 lbs||4.0 out of 5 (18 global ratings)|
|Best in Beginner-Friendly: Valor Fitness CB-12 Lat Pulldown Cable Machine||379.88||53.5 x 24 x 80 inches||84 lbs||200 lbs||4.4 out of 5 (353 global ratings)|
What is a Lat Pulldown Machine?
A lat pulldown is a popular exercise to build back muscles. It more specifically targets the lats. As it is a compound exercise, it also works other muscles like the biceps, abdominals, rhomboids, and pecs.
A lat pulldown machine includes an overhead bar called a lat bar. When you pull down the bar, the cables and weights provide resistance to your back muscles.
The lat bar can be a part of a standalone machine with which you can work on your upper body. Or the lat bar could be a part of a home gym machine with multiple workout stations.
Some of the popular lat pulldown variations are close grip, wide grip, reverse grip, straight arm, and single arm, among others.
What Benefits Does a Lat Pulldown Machine Offer?
Here are some benefits of using a lat pulldown machine.
1. Build Back Muscles
As a fitness enthusiast, the lat pulldown is one of the best exercises you can perform if you aim to grow your back muscles or get that coveted V-shaped back.
Exercises like pull-ups and chin-ups are considered to be more effective. They trigger similar muscles as a lat pulldown, but they can be more challenging to perform. So as a beginner, a lat pulldown can help you build strength.
3. Improve Posture
Poor posture can lead to problems like back pain, poor balance, breathing difficulties, and spine issues. The lat pulldown motion trains our bodies to depress and abduct our shoulder blades. This repeated movement over time can help improve posture.
4. Improve Pulling Motion
Athletes in sports like swimming and skiing require strong pulling motions. In daily life, the motion is necessary for simple activities such as opening a door or using lawn equipment. A lat pulldown can build back strength and ease the pulling motion.
What to Look for When Buying a Lat Pulldown Machine?
Some of the primary factors to consider when buying the best lat pulldown machine for a home gym are:
- Construction: A lat pulldown machine is an investment for your health and fitness. You should pick a machine with a high-quality build. It should be able to withstand the intensity and daily wear and tear. Steel is a popular material used in the construction of such equipment.
- Equipment Functionality: if you specifically want to focus on your back, a machine with a lat bar should suffice. But if you want to get upper and lower body workouts done, look for multifunctional machines with lat bar attachments.
- Weight Capacity: As a beginner, a resistance of up to 200 lbs should be enough. Intermediate and advanced users can opt for machines with weight capacities of up to 600 lbs. Some machines include weights, while you need to buy them separately for some.
- Footprint: Consider the assembled dimensions of the machine. Then the space you will need to efficiently and safely perform full-range movements.
- Budget: The price for the machine can vary depending on its functionality and features. The above list consists of machines ranging from $180 to $2000+. In addition, your budget should account for the cost of weight stacks, attachments, and other accessories.
If you aim to build upper body strength or a wide upper torso, then a lat pulldown machine can help you achieve your goal.
In the beginning, you should stick to a weight limit that you can pull 10 to 15 times. Once you get stronger, you can gradually increase the weight limit. A 10% increase is ideal.
As a beginner, you might be more comfortable with a wide grip, as you may shift the tension to your chest with a close grip. For overall back gains, a wide grip can be better. To specifically strengthen your lats, a close grip can be better. It really depends on your goals.
A lat pulldown is a good exercise to increase back muscle mass and upper body strength, relieve back pain, and improve posture. It is a compound movement that engages muscles like your lats, pecs, biceps, rhomboids, and more.
When buying a lat pulldown machine, you should consider factors like construction, functionality, cost, weight stack, footprint, exercise options, warranty, and reviews.
We hope our list of the best lat pulldown machines for home gyms helps you find the right equipment for your fitness goals.