Are you building a home gym? Or are you working with a limited floor space? If yes, then the half rack is one piece of equipment you should consider getting.
The half rack is the smaller version of a power rack. It is compact in size and ideal for beginners and experienced weightlifters alike.
Using a half rack, you can complete full-body workouts. Some exercises you can perform are squats, barbell bent over rows, shoulder presses, and forward lunges.
Our Top Recommendation for Half Racks for Home Gyms
- Maximum Weight: 600 lbs
- Product Dimension (L x W x H): 45.6 x 23.43 x (57.5 ~ 60.6) inches
- It comes with anti-slip foot end caps
- Suitable for lower ceilings
- Material: Steel
- Color: Black, Blue, Red, Yellow
*We earn a commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you.
But how do you go about selecting the best half racks for the home gym? What factors to consider when buying a half rack?
We bring you our top 10 picks for home gym half racks. We will also look at half racks in detail and consideration factors when buying one.
10 Best Half Racks for Home Gyms
- Best Overall Half Rack: Canpa Barbell Rack
- Best Multifunction Half Rack: Vanswe Multifunction Barbell Rack
- Best Height Adjustable Half Rack: Canpa Adjustable Multifunction Rack
- Best Customer-Rated Half Rack: JX Fitness Squat Rack
- Best Beginner-Friendly Half Rack: BangTong&Li Squat Rack
- Best Home-Gym Half Rack: Nisorpa Adjustable Squat Rack
- Best Value for Money Half Rack: Elevens Squat Rack
- Best Budget-Friendly Half Rack: Hakeno 3-in-1 Squat Rack
- Best Heavy Duty Half Rack: Harison Adjustable Squat Rack
- Best Half Rack for Weightlifters: K Kingkang Multifunctional Adjustable Squat Rack
1. Best Overall Half Rack: Canpa Barbell Rack
This half rack by Canpa is one of the heavy-duty models available that provide stability and support for a weight of 600 lbs. The half rack offers durability with the high-quality steel used in construction and the powder-coated frame.
The rack has an H-shaped base that helps it stay in place while you work out. Further, the 2*2 inch square tubing used in the frame and the locking pin system offer safe workouts.
One can adjust the height of the rack between 57.75 to 60.6 inches. You can perform a range of exercises targeting your full body. The equipment comes with storage racks for two barbells. The two exercise handles covered with sponge offer anti-skid properties.
|Maximum Weight||600 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||45.6 x 23.43 x (57.5 ~ 60.6) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||41.5 x 15 x 5.5 inches|
|Color||Black, Blue, Red, Yellow|
- Maximum weight capacity of 600 lbs
- It comes with anti-slip foot end caps
- Suitable for lower ceilings
- Some exercise options like bench press can be limited for taller users
- Assembly instructions can be confusing
2. Best Multifunction Half Rack: Vanswe Multifunction Barbell Rack
The multifunction rack by Vanswe offers users 13 height adjustment options. The bracket height ranges from 43 to 62 inches. Depending on your requirement, you can further adjust the length from 28 to 46 inches.
The rack is constructed using sturdy main steel and can support a maximum weight of 550 lbs. This makes the rack ideal for beginners and experienced lifters as well.
There are two 7.9 inches of storage pegs located in the front of the stands that can support standard and Olympic weight plates.
The rack comes with a safety locking system, with adjustable knobs, and rubber end caps, providing safety and stability for your workout sessions.
|Maximum Weight||550 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||(28 ~ 46) x 26.8 x (43 ~ 62) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||38.98 x 29.13 x 5.12 inches|
|Warranty||10 years on the main frame|
- Suitable for beginners and powerlifters
- Good customer service offered by Vanswe
- Ten years warranty offered on the main frame
- Assembly instructions are not detailed
- Manually adjusting the height can take time
3. Best Height Adjustable Half Rack: Canpa Adjustable Multifunction Rack
This is one of the best adjustable half rack systems on offer. The height can be adjusted from 36.42 inches to 59.5 inches. Further, the rack offers a 6-level horizontal adjustment.
One can adjust the height of the rack with a pull of the knob. The knob comes with a spring that automatically resets.
Using this half rack, you can perform several exercises like squats, overhead lifts, and bench presses.
It supports a maximum weight of 500 lbs. Features like 2*2 inch steel tubing, the H-shaped base, safety spotting arms, and anti-slip sheet offer users stability and safety during a workout.
There are two storage racks available that you can use to store other gym equipment.
|Maximum Weight||500 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||(35.1 ~ 41.8) x 23.54 x ( 36.42 ~ 59.5) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||39.37 x 12.99 x 5.13 inches|
|Color||Black, Red, Yellow|
- The half rack has a small footprint and can be adjusted as required
- The assembly instructions are easy to follow
- Built-in weight storage place
- The bench press can be low for taller users
4. Best Customer-Rated Half Rack: JX Fitness Squat Rack
If you are looking to take your fitness routine to the next level, explore the squat rack by JX Fitness. With its sturdy construction, 2*2 inch square tubing, and reinforced frame, the rack can support a maximum weight of 660 lbs.
Further, the ends of the rack are covered with plastic anti-slip caps. They offer stability and protect your flooring from scratches when the rack is moved. The rack also offers an enlarged barbell frame and space for storing weight plates.
The squat rack comes with a 4-level length and 5-level height adjustment feature. You can perform various exercises and target different muscles like your arm, chest, legs, and hips.
|Maximum Weight||660 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||(25 ~ 40) x 41.8 x (41 x 57) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||43.75 x 13 x 7.25 inches|
|Material||Steel pipe, Plastic|
- One of the top-rated squat racks by customers
- Supports a maximum weight capacity of 660 lbs
- Good for beginners as well as experienced weightlifters
- Assembly instructions could be difficult to follow
- Users taller than 6’0” may find bench height to be low
5. Best Beginner-Friendly Half Rack: BangTong&Li Squat Rack
Here is another top-rated half rack you can consider. One of the strongest points of the BangTong&Li squat rack is that it is easy to assemble and use. The rack comes with built-in tool kit accessories.
The rack supports a maximum weight of 500 lbs, making it ideal for users from beginner to intermediate levels.
The heavy-duty steel construction, enhanced frame, and powder-coated finish provide stability and durability. To further make your workouts safer, the rack uses a safety locking system, inner non-slip washers, good-quality metal nuts, and rubber-padded end caps.
The rack offers a height adjustment from 50 to 57 inches. The rack also comes with storage space for two barbells.
|Maximum Weight||500 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||(22.7 ~ 42.51) x 23.2 x (50 ~ 57) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||39.37 x 12.99 x 5.91 inches|
|Color||Black, Red, Black + Yellow|
- The rack is easy to assemble
- Tools required for assembly are included
- Beginner-friendly home gym equipment
- Performing low squats may be difficult
6. Best Home-Gym Half Rack: Nisorpa Adjustable Squat Rack
If you are looking for a budget and sturdy equipment for your home gym, consider the squat rack by Nisorpa. The multifunction rack supports a maximum weight of 500 lbs. The 14 adjustment holes and four adjustment positions make the rack suitable for different height requirements.
One can perform different exercises like squats, overhead weight lifting, and bench presses.
The rack has an H-shaped base which provides stability. The main frame is built with thick steel square tubes, and the inclusion of anti-skid and anti-scratch rubber feet, and safety pins further improve stability.
There have been concerns over the rack being used for weightlifting. So, this rack would be more suitable for beginners looking to set up a home gym.
|Maximum Weight||500 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||18.5 x (35.82 ~ 64.96) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||35 x 11 x 6 inches|
- The squat rack takes up minimal floor space
- Budget and beginner-friendly squat rack
- Putting the equipment together may be difficult
- Not suitable for heavy lifters
7. Best Value for Money Half Rack: Elevens Squat Rack
If you are looking for a basic squat rack for your home gym, consider the one from Elevens. It is available in different colors and can be adjusted according to your requirement. For example, the height of the rack can be adjusted from 42 inches to 57.5 inches.
You can target different muscles like your arms, chest, abs, and legs with a single piece of equipment.
Structure-wise, the rack is built using quality steel tubing. In addition, it comes with features like a triangular structure, protective silicon covers, an anti-slip pad, and storage space for weight plates.
It would be best if you kept the weight load below 300 lbs.
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||(33.3 ~ 40.4) x 23 x (42 ~57.5) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||38.8 x 22 x 6.75 inches|
|Color||Black, Red, Yellow|
|Warranty||Contact the Manufacturer|
- Ideal squat rack for beginners
- Good customer service by the manufacturer
- Budget-friendly squat rack
- Not suitable for intense lifting
- The quality of assembly tools included is not up to the mark.
8. Best Budget-Friendly Half Rack: Hakeno 3-in-1 Squat Rack
The Hakeno 3-in-1 is one of the best half racks for home gyms. It is also one of the budget-friendly models available. It is highly adjustable, supports a good weight limit, and has positive reviews. This can overall be a good addition to your home gym.
For example, one can adjust the height of the squat rack from 35 to 62 inches. The length can also be adjusted as per your needs.
It supports a maximum weight of 600 lbs, making it suitable for beginners and experienced weightlifters.
From a safety and durability point of view, the squat rack is equipped with features like a safety locking system, non-slip rubber boots, safety knots technology, and a powder-coated finish.
|Maximum Weight||600 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||(31 ~ 42) x 34.6 x (35 ~ 62) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||Unavailable|
- Budget-friendly addition for home gyms
- Supports a weight limit of 600 lbs
- Good height and length adjustment range available.
- The assembly instructions are not clear.
9. Best Heavy Duty Half Rack: Harison Adjustable Squat Rack
If you are looking to get serious with weight training, the Harison squat rack could be a good addition to your home gym. The H-shaped base and 50mm*70mm reinforced steel frame add stability to the rack.
It supports a maximum weight of 650 lbs. The spotter arms are 13 inches long and are equipped with shock-absorbing rubber mats. The spotter’s arms have a weight capacity of 400 lbs.
The hand grips are 8.27 inches long. They are made of UVA material and are covered in soft foam to provide you with a better grip and dipping experience. They can support a maximum weight capacity of 350 lbs.
The rack has a barbell storage rack that can hold a maximum weight of 176 lbs.
With ten levels of adjustment options available, you can perform full-body workouts with exercises like bench presses, squats, hip lifts, barbell rows, and lunges.
|Maximum Weight||650 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||(28.37 ~ 46.1) x 38.22 x (51.22 ~ 68.95) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||43 x 21.5 x 6.6 inches|
|Color||Black + Red|
|Warranty||1 year free part replacement|
- Supports a maximum weight capacity of 650 lbs
- Ten levels of rack adjustment are available
- One year free part replacement offered
- Performing flat bench press may be difficult
- It can be expensive for a home gym
10. Best Half Rack for Weightlifters: K Kingkang Multifunctional Adjustable Squat Rack
One of the best features of the squat rack by K Kingkand is that it supports a load-bearing capacity of 690 lbs. The height of the half rack can be adjusted to 11 levels, from 36.2 to 46.2 inches. Further, the rack can also be adjusted horizontally up to 10 levels.
You can adjust the rack and perform exercises like squats, push-ups, overhead weight lifting, and inclines. You can use the safety locking system to make the required adjustments.
The rack comes with removable Austrian rod cylinders. It acts as a storage space for the Olympic trap bar.
Structure-wise, the frame is designed using high-quality thick steel pipe, the ends are equipped with rubber feet, and the barbell safety bumpers are double-sided.
|Maximum Weight||690 lbs|
|Product Dimension (L x W x H)||(29.9 ~ 46.4) x 37 x (36.2 ~ 46.4) inches|
|Package Dimension (L x W x H)||40.06 x 17.07 x 7.02 inches|
|Color||Gray + Yellow|
- Support a load-bearing capacity of 690 lbs
- 11 levels of height adjustment are available
- It comes with 2 Austrian bars for storage
- Not many customer reviews are available
10 Best Half Racks for Home Gyms Comparison Table
|Product Name||Size (L x W x H||Weight||Weight Capacity||Average Rating||Price|
|Best Overall Half Rack: Canpa Barbell Rack||45.6 x 23.43 x (57.5 ~ 60.6) inches||45.19 lbs||600 lbs||4.1 out of 5 (75 ratings)|
|Best Multifunction Half Rack: Vanswe Multifunction Barbell Rack||(28 ~ 46) x 26.8 x (43 ~ 62) inches||46.29 lbs||550 lbs||4.4 out of 5 (544 ratings)|
|Best Height Adjustable Half Rack: Canpa Adjustable Multifunction Rack||(35.1 ~ 41.8) x 23.54 x ( 36.42 ~ 59.5) inches||35.62 lbs||500 lbs||4.5 out of 5 (330 ratings)|
|Best Customer-Rated Half Rack: JX Fitness Squat Rack||(25 ~ 40) x 41.8 x (41 ~ 57) inches||57.45 lbs||660 lbs||4.5 out of 5 (426 ratings)|
|Best Beginner-Friendly Half Rack: BangTong&Li Squat Rack||22.7 ~ 42.51) x 23.2 x (50 ~ 57) inches||37.03 lbs||500 lbs||4.4 out of 5 (1868 ratings)|
|Best Home-Gym Half Rack: Nisorpa Adjustable Squat Rack||18.5 x (35.82 ~ 64.96) inches||32.14 lbs||500||3.2 out of 5 (26 ratings)|
|Best Value for Money Half Rack: Elevens Squat Rack||33.3 ~ 40.4) x 23 x (42 ~57.5) inches||40.74 lbs||unavailable||4.1 out of 5 (75 ratings)|
|Best Budget-Friendly Half Rack: Hakeno 3-in-1 Squat Rack||(31 ~ 42) x 34.6 x (35 ~ 62) inches||26.45 lbs||600 lbs||4.2 out of 5 (5 ratings)|
|Best Heavy Duty Half Rack: Harison Adjustable Squat Rack||(28.37 ~ 46.1) x 38.22 x (51.22 ~ 68.95) inches||69 lbs||650 lbs||3.5 out of 5 (6 ratings)|
|Best Half Rack for Weightlifters: K Kingkang Multifunctional Adjustable Squat Rack||(29.9 ~ 46.4) x 37 x (36.2 ~ 46.4) inches||54.14 lbs||690 lbs||5 out of 5 (1 rating)|
What is a Half Rack?
A half rack consists of two vertical bars attached to a base. An additional bar will be at the base connecting the two vertical bars. At the top, there can be two smaller bars that work as spotters.
Depending on the brand and design, the half rack could be adjusted vertically and horizontally. This accommodates different user heights and allows you to perform various exercises without compromising the range of motion.
It could also support load-bearing capacities of 500 lbs and above. Thus the equipment can work well for beginners and experienced fitness enthusiasts.
It could include features like weight storage space, long spotter arms, and anti-slip ends.
What Benefits Does a Half Rack Offer?
If you still have reservations about investing in a half rack, here are some benefits that may help you decide.
- Half racks take significantly less space than a power rack. A power rack may not fit in if you are working with limited floor space. And if it does, the power rack may not leave enough space for other equipment or for you to work out safely.
- Half racks are a budget-friendly alternative to power racks. You can get a sturdy, durable multifunction half rack with a good load-bearing capacity for around $100. On the other hand, an entry-level power rack may start over $200, and higher-end versions go above $500.
- It can be a piece of beginner-friendly gym equipment. If you are getting started with using weights, a half rack would be a better choice than a power rack.
What to Look For When Buying a Half Rack?
When buying a half rack, consider factors like material used and design. These factors determine how much maximum weight the half rack can safely support.
Consider the floor space the equipment will occupy. Opting for adjustable half racks can help you perform a range of exercises while also allowing for easy storage.
When it comes to pricing, most half racks should fall under the $100-$200 range. However, there are heavy-duty half racks that can cost over $300.
Some other factors that deserve your attention are ease of assembly, accessories, maintenance, durability, and customer reviews.
A half rack can be a space and cost-saving equipment that can add value to your home gym. You can target various muscle groups with multifunction half racks like bench presses, squats, lunges, and dips.
A half rack will be a better option if you are at the beginning of your fitness journey or trying to remain in shape at home.
Consider factors like material used, design, weight capacity, accessories, cost, dimensions, and customer reviews when investing in a half rack.
We hope our list of best half racks for home gyms provides you with a better understanding of the equipment and helps you choose the right one per your requirements.